Friday, September 21, 2012

Widgets

Fall Trees Friday Mashup 77

It’s Friday! It’s time for another Friday Mashup Challenge! Are you ready? Well take a look at the card I made then maybe you’ll be ready.


  • Stamps: Lovely as a Tree, Just Believe
  • Card Stock: Very Vanilla, Early Espresso, Lucky Limeade
  • Ink: Early Espresso, Old Olive, Lucky Limeade, Pumpkin Pie
  • Markers: Daffodil Delight, Cajun Craze, Cherry Cobbler, More Mustard
  • Accessories: Apothecary Accents Framelits, Paper Piercer, Stampin’ Pierce Mat, Glimmer Brads, Raspberry Ripple Stitched Grosgrain ribbon, Woodgrain embossing folder, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Sponge Dauber, Post-It Notes, craft knife, Stampin’ Sponge

Photo  Source

So here is the "Mashup" Challenge:
  1. Make a "Indian Summer" themed project.
  2. Or Make a project with any three colors from "Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Raspberry Ripple, Lucky Limeade & Early Espresso".
  3. Or "Mash it Up" and create a "Indian Summer Themed project with the color combo". 


What automatically comes to mind when I think of Indian Summer is how the air starts to get cooler and the trees just start to change colors. Getting out those sweaters for the first time because the mornings are just a little bit chilly. I just love getting to see Mother Nature transform the trees into their beautiful and vibrant colors. So for this challenge I decided to try to make some fall leaves on my Lovely as a Tree image. I think it turned out pretty well. I even put together a tutorial so you can give it a try if you like it.

I started off by cutting a piece of Very Vanilla card stock 3-3/4” x 5”. I stamped the line of trees from Lovely as a Tree onto my Very Vanilla card stock and onto a wide Post-It Note.


Use a craft knife to cut out the tops of the trees. Try to make sure it’s not straight perfect lines. These are trees full of leaves after all so there is no perfect shape.


Place your Post-It Note over your trees. Make sure to line up the images as best as possible. Now take your marker and just dab all over with the side of the marker tip to apply the color. I used Daffodil Delight, More Mustard, Cajun Craze, and Cherry Cobbler markers to color mine.


Now take a sponge dauber and dab on some ink to fill in the trees. I used Pumpkin Pie here, but I think it would have looked better with Daffodil Delight.


Now remove your Post-It Note.


For the grass just take the edge of you Lucky Limeade ink pad and swipe it across the card stock. You don’t have to press very hard to transfer a nice rich color. Use a sponge to add a little bit of Pool Party ink to the sky by starting off the edge of the card stock and moving inward with a swirling motion. This will give you a light suggestion of a blue sky.


Now add shadows to the grass with the edge of your Old Olive ink pad. Also, to get rid of the straight edges on the trees take a couple of your markers and dab more color just around the edges of the trees to make them look fluffy. I just used More Mustard and Cajun Craze for this part.


I wanted to add a little more depth so I ran my image panel through the Big Shot in the Woodgrain embossing folder. I adhered this onto a 4” x 5-1/4” piece of Early Espresso card stock. I wrapped a piece of Raspberry Ripple Stitched Satin ribbon around the panel and tied it into a bow. This panel was adhered onto the card front with Stampin’ Dimensionals.


For the greeting I stamped the image from Friendly Phrases onto a scrap of Very Vanilla card stock in Early Espresso ink, then ran it through the Big Shot with the Apothecary Accent Framelit to cut out the shape. Then I used a Paper Piercer and Stampin’ Pierce mat to add a hole in each end of the label. A Pumpkin Pie Glimmer Brad was added in each hole and the label was adhered onto the card front with Stampin’ Dimensionals.


So what to do you think of my trees? I think they turned out pretty well.