Monday, June 17, 2013

Widgets

Faux Tile Trees Tutorial

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Father’s Day! Today I’m going to share with you the card that I gave my Dad for Father’s Day. It’s also the second card that I made for the Friday Mashup challenge last week.


  • Stamps: Lovely as a Tree, Something to Celebrate, Woodgrain
  • Card Stock: Baked Brown Sugar, Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, Early Espresso Core’Dinations
  • Ink: Sahara Sand, Black Stazon, Baked Brown Sugar
  • Re-Inker: Soft Suede, Gumball Green
  • Accessories: Aqua Painter, Early Espresso Marker, Champagne Glimmer Paper, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Sanding Block, 2-Way Glue Pen, Gold Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, Embossing Buddy, Woodgrain embossing folder


I started off by cutting a piece of Baked Brown Sugar card stock 5-1/2” x 8-1/2” and scored it at 4-1/4”. I stamped one half of the card front with the Woodgrain Background stamp in Baked Brown Sugar ink. Next I cut a piece of Early Espresso Core’dinations card stock 4” x 3". I ran this through the Big Shot in the Woodgrain embossing folder then used the sanding block to sand off the top of the texture revealing the Crumb Cake inside of the card stock. I adhered this onto the left side of the card front.


Next up I cut a piece of Very Vanilla card stock 2-1/2" x 4-1/4". This is the fun part! I placed my card stock on a piece of grid paper and used a ruler and the fine point end of my Early Espresso markers to draw on the horizontal lines, then the vertical lines to look like bricks. 


I filled up my large Aqua Painter with rubbing alcohol the dropped a single drop of Soft Suede and Gumball Green re-inker in two separate places on a piece of plastic (or whatever you want to use for your paint pallet). Then I squeezed my Aqua Painter over each spot until a drop of rubbing alcohol drips over the ink. Ta Daaa!!!! You now have alcohol ink!

I picked up a little bit of the diluted Soft Suede ink and brushed it over each of the marker lines. It looks kind of messy, but that’s okay. Don’t freak out. It will be alright. 


I stamped the long line of trees in the background with Sahara Sand ink. Then I stamped the tree in the front with Black Stazon ink. I colored in the trunk of the tree with more Soft Suede alcohol ink and added some green to the leafy part of the tree with the Gumball Green alcohol ink. I heated this with my heat tool on the 1st setting just to completely dry my artwork.


Hint: Heat from both the front and the back alternating sides so your paper doesn’t curl up a whole bunch. It will still be a little wavy, but won’t be one round curl.

Next I used my Embossing Buddy on the card stock and stamped the greeting from Something to Celebrate in Versamark ink. I covered the stamped image with Gold embossing powder, tapped off the excess, and heated it with my heat tool. Ohhh…shiny!


I cut a piece of Early Espresso card stock 2-5/8" x 4-1/2" and adhered my beautiful stamped panel onto the card stock. Now you may notice that one end of the mat is a little bit wider than the other three sides. This is intentional… I happened to have a scrap of Champagne Glimmer Paper that was about 1/16” wide sitting on my table, so I snipped off a section of that and adhered it onto the mat to the left of the tree panel. Then I just slapped this onto the card front with a few Stampin’ Dimensionals. Well….really I was nicer than that. I carefully placed it onto the card front trying to make sure it was centered without getting out my ruler and doing more math.


Anyway… that is it! A fun “faux” tiled scene for Father’s Day! If you haven’t yet, head on over to the Friday Mashup to see what the rest of the design team has created and to load up your project!