Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Widgets

Chevron Birthday

Chevrons are just about everywhere these days. In home decor, clothing, craft supplies, you name it. They are just incredibly popular right now. They're kinda fun too don't ya think? Well this bright and fun birthday card is full of them! I saw THIS lovely card on Pinterest and knew I wanted to re-create it. 

That piece with the chevrons going two different directions and meeting in the perfect location for the greeting banner was a royal pain in the tush. It took me an entire wasted sheet of Whisper White card stock to figure it out. So, to save your your sanity and a piece of card stock I have a tutorial for you so you can make your own lovely double direction chevron piece without pulling your hair out. Or saying a number of impolite words in frustration. 


  • Bermuda Bay card stock 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", scored at 4-1/4"
  • Whisper White card stock (two pieces) 1-1/4" x 5-1/2" 
  • Daffodil Delight card stock 1/2" x 3-1/2"
  • Whisper White card stock 4" x 5-1/4"
  • Stamps: Cycle Celebration
  • Ink: Tangerine Tango, Daffodil Delight, Pacific Point
  • Accessories: Chevron border punch, 1/2" Circle punch, 3/8" Circle punch, Silver Glimmer Paper, Sponge Daubers, Stampin' Dimensionals, Arrows embossing folder, Paper Snips, 2-Way Glue Pen
I started off by running my card front through the Big Shot in the Arrows embossing folder and folded the card stock on the score line. Easy peasy! Now for that chevron piece take a ruler and measure 5/8" from the right side of the punch and use a fine point permanent marker to mark directly on the punch. 


Take your 1-1/4" x 5-1/2" piece of Whisper White card stock and insert it into the punch. Line the right edge of the card stock up with the mark you just made and punch it. 


Now slide the card stock over to the left until the first chevron is lined up with the shiny image on the punch and punch it again. 


Now take your ruler and permanent marker and measure 1" from the left side of the punch and mark the punch. (Note: you are measuring from the actual edge of the plastic, not the little groove you see in the edge of the punch). My ruler isn't exactly lined up right here because, well... It's kinda hard to keep a ruler lined up with one hand and take a picture with the other. At least it is for me. But I'm not very coordinated. 


Now take your card stock that you have punched and flip it end over end. That way the edge that you had against the top of the punch before will still be at the top of the punch when punching the other side. Have I confused you yet? Now you don't have to do this, I have added numbers next to the first and second chevrons just so you can see which to line up where. 


Line up the point from the second chevron with the mark you made on the left side of the punch and punch. 


Now you should have something fairly close to this below! Yay! I went ahead and punched these in advance for the ladies at the make and take so they didn't have to pull their hair out trying to do this. Also, I was too tired that night to want to explain multiple times how to punch this piece. 


I took the second piece of 1-1/4" x 5-1/2" Whisper White card stock and used Sponge Daubers to sponge Daffodil Delight ink in the middle. Then I sponged Tangerine Tango on one end and Pacific Point on the other. I glued the chevron piece directly onto the sponged piece with 2-Way Glue Pen. I added this lovely chevron piece onto the left side of the card front with a few Stampin' Dimensionals. 


Next up I stamped the greeting from Cycle Celebration onto the strip of Daffodil Delight card stock in Tangerine Tango ink then used some Paper Snips to cut the strip into an arrow shape on either end. To glue the greeting onto the card front I used a dimensional on the right end and 2-Way Glue Pen on the other end. I made sure I stuck the greeting banner over the position where the chevron points meet.


I wanted to add a little bit of sparkly interest to the card so I used my 3/8" and 1/2" circle punches on some Silver Glimmer Paper. The smaller circles were glued down onto the card front with more 2-Way Glue Pen and the larger circle was stuck down with a Stampin' Dimensional.


For the inside I just sponged the right side of the card stock the same way that I did for the piece behind the chevrons and glued it in place with some glue stick. I totally LOVE how this card came out! So bright and cheerful and fun!