Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Widgets

Lovely Watercolor Card

Are you ready for a super simple, yet wow technique? Well I've got a great one to share with you today. I'm am absolutely in love with the look of watercolors. The way the colors flow and blend together in imperfect perfection. So why not try to get that look on a card? 


  • Coastal Cabana card stock 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", scored at 4-1/4"
  • Retro Fresh DSP 2-1/4" x 4-1/4"
  • Watercolor Paper 3" x 5"
  • Sequin Trim 14"
  • Stamps: Too Kind, Perfect Pennants, Gorgeous Grunge
  • Ink: Coastal Cabana, Strawberry Slush, Raspberry Ripple, Old Olive, Versamark, Early Espresso
  • Accessories: Apothecary Accents Framelits, Stampin' Dimensionals, Gold embossing powder, Heat Tool, Embossing Buddy, Glue Dots, Essentials Wood Elements

1. Start by placing your watercolor paper in a plastic container of some sort and spritz it with water until the paper is pretty well soaked. Here I am just using a storage box lid to contain the over spray. Ink up your stamps (here I used Too Kind with Strawberry Slush and Old Olive ink) and stamp it onto your wet watercolor paper and watch those colors run and blend together.



2. Let the paper dry, or if you're impatient like me dry it with your heat tool. Make sure you dry it from both the front and the backside to prevent the paper from curling up too much. 


3. Once the paper is completely dry stamp the images again in the same ink color. Since this stamp set is a two-step set I also stamped the smaller images in Raspberry Ripple ink on top of the freshly stamped Strawberry Slush flowers.


4. Now use this piece to finish your card as you desire. For mine I stamped the greeting from Perfect Pennants onto the card stock in Early Espresso ink then covered it with gold embossing powder. My intent was to have half the greeting be gold and half be Early Espresso, but embossing powder ended up sticking to most of it. Heat this with your heat tool until shiny. Then I stamped the small dots splatter image from Gorgeous Grunge all over the panel in Versamark ink, covered that with gold embossing powder, and heated it with the heat tool until shiny. Finally I cut out the panel in the Big Shot with the Apothecary Accents Framelits.


5. Stamp the same small splatter image all over the card front in Coastal Cabana ink. Then Glue the DSP into the center of the card front. Stick the watercolor panel down onto the card with some Stampin' Dimensionals. 


6. Now here was the fun part. I cut a length of the gold sequin trim and pulled the sequins off about 2" on each end. Then I wrapped it around the card front and tied the string ends into a knot. To cover up the knot I used a dimensional to glue a small wood heart from the Essentials Wooden Elements pack. So cute and so fun! 


I just can't get enough of that fun watercolor background! Have  you used this technique on any of your projects? Are you in love with watercolor too? This makes me want to get out my watercolors and brushes and paint something!